Tuesday 20 September 2011

Remote Tech Support Mode in ESXi 4.1 - unexpected feature

Just found out an interesting feature of ESXi Remote TSM. One might even call it a security risk.

Usually I utilize Remote TSM to get access to command line interface of our ESXi hosts. By default, SSH access is disabled on all hosts. So I have to open it temporarily, run commands I need and then close SSH.

However, today I forgot to close my Putty client with SSH session to the host.While checking vSphere I noticed yellow alarm sign on one of the host which was warning that Remote TSM was enabled. I immediately disabled it.

20 mins later I noticed my putty client is still connected to that host via SSH and i still had access to command line of the ESXi host. I thought there was a bug in vCenter and it probably didn't disable TSM. However, when I tried to open a new SSH session to the host Putty has failed to setup one. Be default TSM session never expires and this means you have to consider adjusting timeout value for TSM.

1. Go to the Advanced Settings of ESXi host
2. Locate "UserVars.TSMTimeOut" key
3. Adjust it to the desired value in seconds.


If you find this post useful please share it with any of the buttons below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment