Saturday 16 April 2016

Migration from Windows vCenter 5.5 to vCenter Server Appliance 6.2 - Part 4 - Moving to external PSC

We got to the last step of our short journey. In this post I will be deploying new PSC appliance and then will reconfigure my vCSA to use external PSC instead of embedded once. 
For the lab of my size Embedded PSC is a preferable option, however I am going to deploy another vCSA and a couple of nested ESXi servers later to be able to test more interestings scenarios in the lab. And for that I will need my vCSA to use External PSC.

1. Create a DNS A record for new PSC.
That's an official prerequisite when deploying new PSC or vCSA. Without DNS record the installation process will fail. 

2. Deploy new PSC


2. Select Datacenter




3. Choose Deployment option - link to PSC Descision tree

Btw, there is a great PSC Deployment decision tree which helps you to decide on the best PSC deployment option 



4. Join to existing SSO domain


5. Choose Site



6. PSC comes in one size only


7. Select the datastore for PSC


8. Configure Networking


9. Review Summary and Click Finish



10. SSH to the new appliance and check the replication status

You don't really want to repoint you vCSA to external PSC that failed to replicate current configuration from the embedded PSC or has some issues with services health 

11. Check the new PSC status in the Web client



12. Join new PSC to the domain 

I almost overlooked this aspect, but I accidentaly remembered that I had read something about it in William Lam's blog




13. Repoint vCenter to new external PSC 


and we are done here. The goal is achieved. 

Now I can get to configure and test new VSAN 6.2 and plenty of other new features of vSphere 6.


No comments:

Post a Comment